Contacts / Connections | Top
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Select the Directory link in the main navigation bar. The Directory lets you search for other users based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company name
- Email address
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: There are several ways to add contacts. When you perform a search in the Directory, you will see an Add as Contact button to the right of each person in your search results. Click this button to send a contact request. If you click through and view an individual’s profile, you can click the Contact Request link to the right of the member's profile picture.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities allow you to participate in discussions and share resources with other members.
Q: What communities do I already belong to?
A: Select Communities in the main navigation bar. Select My Communities to view the communities you belong to.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to a community and the affiliated discussion group?
A: Select Communities in the main navigation bar. Select All Communities to view a list of available communities. Select the community that you wish to join and select Join, and choose a delivery option for posts (Real Time, Daily Digest or No Email).
Q: How can I control the frequency and format of emails I receive?
A: Navigate to your profile, and select My Account. Select Community Notifications from the drop-down menu. Scroll to Notification settings, and for each community you belong to, select an option: Real Time, Daily Digest, or No Email.
For each discussion, you have the following delivery options:
- Real time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of the posts from the previous day.
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: Navigate to the community you want to leave, and select Settings. Under Status, select Leave Community.
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?
A: To respond to a discussion post, navigate to the discussion post, and select Reply to send your message to the entire community. To send a message just to the author of the post, select Reply Privately from the Reply drop-down menu. We recommend replying to the sender for simple comments like “me, too” that may not contribute to the overall discussion; and replying to the entire community when you are sharing knowledge, experience or resources that others can benefit from.
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?
A: Navigate to Participate, and select Post a Message. Select the community you want to post to, add a title and your discussion message, and select Post.
Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML email messages. How do I fix this?
A: If images are not appearing, it is likely that your email client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based email, go to your profile page and select My Account. Select Community Notifications from the drop-down menu. Select the Plain Text format option for each of the discussions you are subscribed to.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: Yes. Enter a keyword in the Search bar, located in the main navigation.
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific Community?
A: Navigate to the community you are interested in viewing. On the community's landing page, select the Discussions tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, select the subject line to view the entire thread.
Q: What are the “tags” for?
A: Tags are great way to organize and categorize content on your site. Tagged items are prioritized in the search results.
Libraries | Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which library the resource might be located in, find the affiliated community via the All Communities page. On that community's landing page, select the Library tab . If you do not know where the resource might be, enter search terms in the main search box the same way you might enter search terms into Google or another search engine.
Q: Can I search for specific file types?
A: Yes. Enter your desired keyword in the main search box.
Q: How do the libraries get populated?
A: The libraries are populated in two ways:
1. When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated library.
2. You can also upload documents directly to a library by using the Share a File link under Participate in the main navigation or Create a Library Entry button on any community's library page. Library resources are not required to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: Select the Share a File link under Participate in the main navigation or Create New Library Entry on any community landing page. Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps, and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document, and include a description (optional). Select the library to which you’d like to upload it, and select a folder to which you’d like to upload it (optional). Then, choose an Entry Type (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, select Next.
- Upload your file.
- Select Next if you want to further describe your files and/or add tags to your file. Otherwise, select Finish to post your library entry
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images and YouTube videos.